Church of Our Lady - Manannah

  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
You are here: About

Church of Our Lady

When Jesus saw his mother, and the disciple whom he loved standing near, he said to his mother, "Woman, behold, your son!" Then he said to the disciple, "Behold, your mother!" And from that hour the disciple took her to his own home. (John 19: 26-27)

Church of Our Lady is a small, rural, Roman Catholic parish in the Diocese of New Ulm, Minnesota. We are a vibrant parish with strong agricultural ties.
Please look around our site and come join us at the holy sacrifice of the Mass or any of our many activities.

Our Lady of Perpetual Succour

E-mail Print

The large painting that hangs on the wall to the left side of the altar is called Our Lady of Perpetual Succor (or Help). It is Byzantine in style and is based on the original which was painted in the thirteenth century.  It depicts Mary the Mother of God holding the Divine Child with the Archangels Michael and Gabriel showing Him the instruments of His Passion. Above the angels in the picture are Greek abbreviations for Mother of God, Jesus Christ, Archangel Michael, and Archangel Gabriel respectively.

The original painting was brought to Rome towards the end of the fifteenth century by a pious merchant, who ordered in his will that the picture should be exposed in a church for public veneration. It was displayed in the church of San Matteo, Via Merulana, between St. Mary Major and St. John Lateran. Many came to this church, and for nearly three hundred years many graces were obtained through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin. In those days the picture was referred to as the Madonna di San Matteo. This church was staffed by the Hermits of St. Augustine.

The Augustinians were still in charge when Napoleon’s army invaded Rome (1812) and destroyed the church. The picture disappeared for over forty years, but a series of providential circumstances between 1863 and 1865 led to its discovery in an oratory of the Augustinian Fathers at Santa Maria in Posterula.

Pope Pius IX, who as a boy had prayed before the picture in San Matteo, became interested in the discovery and in a letter dated 11 December, 1865 to Father General Mauron, C.SS.R., ordered that Our Lady of Perpetual Succour should be again publicly venerated in Via Merulana at the new church of St. Alphonsus. The ruins of San Matteo were in the grounds of the Redemptorist Convent. This was but the first favor of the Holy Father towards the picture. He approved of the solemn translation of the picture (26 April, 1866), and its coronation by the Vatican Chapter (23 June, 1867). He fixed the feast as duplex secundae classis, on the Sunday before the Feast of the Nativity of St. John the Baptist, and by a decree dated May, 1876, approved of a special office and Mass for the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer. Learning that the devotion to Our Lady under this title had spread far and wide, Pius IX raised a confraternity of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour and St. Alphonsus, which had been erected in Rome, to the rank of an arch-confraternity and enriched it with many privileges and indulgences. He was amongst the first to visit the picture in its new home, and his name is the first in the register of the arch-confraternity.

Two thousand three hundred facsimiles of the Holy Picture have been sent from St. Alphonsus's church in Rome to every part of the world. At the present day not only altars, but churches and dioceses are dedicated to Our Lady of Perpetual Succour.

Last Updated on Sunday, 06 February 2011 09:35
We have 118 guests online